Starting from the first of April 2016, every lorry driving around in Belgian territory must be equipped with an On Board Unit (OBU). The OBU is only required when the motor vehicle has an MTM (Maximum Permissible Mass) of more than 3.5 tonnes. From the first of January 2018, the additional vehicle category N1 with bodywork code BC of 3.5 tonnes or less has also been added.
The toll is levied on motorways, but also on a number of regional and municipal roads. The OBU must always be on as soon as you leave Belgium, that is, even if you are not on a toll road. The toll is regulated by the company Satellic on behalf of Viapass.
Since January 2018 the OBU device can also be used for the Liefkenshoek tunnel. More info can be found below.
What can MAES do for you in the entire toll story.
As a recognized partner of Satellic, we are your first point of contact.
- We make you familiar with the toll system
- We answer all your questions
- We take over the entire administrative burden
- We register your company and your vehicles via the Satellic portal
- We can order the OBUs, Satellic always requests a guarantee of 135 euros per device. We will forward the payment details
- We can connect and disconnect the OBUs and the cars in the system
- We take over the payment guarantee
- We will collect the amounts due every Sepa every 14 days
Unlike many other providers of this service, our service is and remains free.
What do you have to do to enjoy this free service?
- You should fill in the following documents (Mandate & SEPA mandate) and deliver it to us
- You should send a copy of the documents of the car to us (registration certificate or registration certificate & identification report or technical sheet)
How the system works
The OBU detects via satellite signal where the vehicle is located and which route it follows. The system then applies the tariff that applies to that type of road. The OBU calculates the toll to be paid, which depends on the maximum permitted mass, the emission class and the type of road.
You can easily follow everything via the Satellic portal, the Road User Portal, where you can get an overview of the amount to be paid as well as where the car has driven. You can also find your invoices on this portal. From us you will receive an email every two weeks with the amount to be paid for information and we will offer this to your bank via direct debit.
You can have the device installed or simply plug in the cigarette lighter.
All data that is transferred is encrypted. This ensures the privacy of the user at all times. You can always check how many kilometers were driven. You can also easily have your account removed at Satellic once you no longer need the OBU device.
From this year you can also use your OBU device for the Liefkenshoek tunnel. When activated, the OBU will allow you to pass the toll gates without delay. And you enjoy the lowest toll rate!
Upon arrival, an antenna automatically registers your OBU after which the barrier opens, the light goes green and you can continue on the road. You do not have to search for your card or even stop at the tollbooth. The settlement of the toll will then take place in the same way as the kilometer charge. Afterwards you can also download the invoice via the Road User Portal from Satellic. For more information you can always contact us or you can visit the website of the Liefkenshoektunnel here for more information about the rates.
You need an On Board Unit as soon as you have a truck with a Maximum Permitted Mass of more than 3.5 tons. Also for semi-trailer vehicles of category N1 with body code BC (regardless of their weight)
You can order an OBU via your account or you can pick it up at a service point.
- You can easily order your OBU yourself via the account or you can contact us. When doing this yourself you go about by pressing “order an OBU”, it is important that you choose “order multiple OBUs” at the next screen, even if you only need one device. This drops the obligation to register your car first. You can easily do that afterwards. You can also simply contact us and we will arrange this for you. It is important to know that we request the OBU and the order is only placed after payment of the deposit (€135) and that the OBU is sent to the address in your account. The delivery time is about 3-4 working days after payment
- You can also go to a service point, these are vending machines located all over Belgium where you can easily go to immediately get an OBU device. You will need your login details for this as well as the documents of the car (registration certificate & identification report) and also a means of payment for the € 135 (Cash, VISA & Bank card).
- Finally, you can always visit the head office of MAES, but you should contact us first. Then we can prepare everything so that you can just pick up the device and do not lose any extra time
It is best to apply for the toll charge via email. On this page you can find the necessary documents for the application.
Nous proposons la perception gratuite du péage comme un service supplémentaire pour nos clients. Cela signifie donc que vous devez juste payer ce que vous avez consommé, sans frais supplémentaires.
We offer toll collection as an extra service for our customers free of charge. This means that you simply have to pay for what you have driven, at no extra cost.
The authorization is always required, you can find it here. In addition, the SEPA mandate is also required for non-customers. Then you will either register the truck yourself or we can do this for you. In that case we also need the registration certificate & identification report.
Les paiements sont toujours effectués par prélèvement automatique deux fois par mois. Comme notre service est gratuit, nous exigeons que les paiements s’effectuent toujours correctement.
Payments are always made by direct debit, twice a month. Since our service is free, we always ask that it be done correctly.
If you send an OBU device to Satellic or have it picked up, you will get the deposit back fairly quickly. Satellic itself indicates that this will happen within 30 days, but this is often much faster. If you bring it in via MAES, this can sometimes take a little longer, because they come to pick up the devices from us once a month and only then return the deposit on the same timetable. Please note that shipping by post is payed by you and also when collecting it is only free when it is for a defective device.
MAES est un partenaire commercial de Satellic, ils s’occupent de la perception du péage pour la Belgique et uniquement pour la Belgique. Leurs systèmes OBU ne vous permettent actuellement pas de circuler à l’étranger.
MAES is a business partner of Satellic, they provide toll only for. With their OBU systems you cannot currently drive abroad.
Since MAES is a business partner of Satellic, you can only work with their systems when selecting MAES as your business partner.
If you choose to work with MAES as a business partner for toll collection, you can also use the Liefkenshoek tunnel with your OBU. This at the lowest rate! The payments & billing is like the normal toll collection. This is also via direct debit and the invoices can be found on your account.
Satellic itself does not work via direct debit. That is why they choose the option of business partners. By direct debit you do not have the burden of putting an amount on the device or putting it on your VISA card. After every 2 weeks you simply receive the amount via direct debit and everything works automatically, no more worries. It is important to know that our service is free, so it runs automatically and you do not lose any extra costs! Handy, right!
You must always leave an OBU on when you are driving, even if you are driving on roads where the kilometer charge does not count. You do not have to pay on the smaller roads, but you can have random spot checks.
Payments via MAES are always made by direct debit, twice a month. You will always receive an email from Satellic that your invoices are available, and you will also receive an email from us with the total amount that we will offer to your bank. 2 days later we offer this amount.
You must pay a deposit of € 135 for the OBU. You will receive this amount in full if you return an OBU correctly. All cables, paper & suction cups must be included in the delivery and all glue / sitckers must be removed. If you still have an OBU from 2016, you will receive the entire guarantee back with only the OBU device. Back then, these rules didn’t count.
As a reminder, the toll roads and the rates that apply to toll roads are determined by the Belgian regional governments. The current rates and toll roads can be found on the Viapass website. The amount is calculated on 4 matters: The territory (VL / WA / BR), the type of road, the MTM & the emission class.
You can bring in an OBU at Satellic in 3 ways, don’t forget to put the cables, manual & suction cups in the box.
- Have it picked up by Satellic: You can have it picked up by Satellic at a favorable pick-up rate, with a defective device it is even free. To do this, go to “my vehicles & OBUs” and press the OBU serial number “00041000 *”, then press “OBU return” and choose this option. You will then receive a shipping label with all the information on it.
- Send by post to Satellic: You can also send it by post, the shipping costs are for you. To do this, go to “my vehicles & OBUs” and press the OBU serial number “00041000 *”, then press “OBU return” and choose this option. You will then receive a shipping label with all the information on it.
- Drop off at MAES headquarters or at a manned service station. Here you can find a list of all our shops. You hand over the OBU in a box with your name on it and indicate that it must be taken to the head office. Satellic comes to collect the devices from us once a month, after which they return the deposit.
No, you can not. The payments only can go via MAES as businesspartner. As for the deposit, this is also not possible with our fuel card.